.NET Programmer Thoughts

Saturday, July 10, 2004

Extreme Programming Adventures in C#

Well, I'm up to Chapter 6. I like the text but the code is not accurate! The code in Chapter 5 seems to have been pulled at a later date. There is also a method that disappears and then reappears in another chapter.

The idea for the book is excellent! Here's a guy that doesn't know C# or .NET and is trying to provide an application for a customer (which in this case happens to be himself). So we are basically learning as he learns.

In doing all this he shows us his extreme programming methods. I'm not sure I agree with all the refactoring he's doing. Sure it needs to be done but just THINK a little before you write. He does state that since this is his first C# program that it is much worse than it would normally be. We also learn about NUnit and the testing framework.

I've learned how to use NUnit two ways now. One way is to update the debug configuration on the project and when you hit "F5" it runs the NUnit GUI. The other way is to do a build (CTRL+SHIFT+B) and then open NUnit (it could already be open) and your test methods will show up. VERY SWEET!

In my last job they had me so rushed that I never did full regression testing. This would have been great for that. So many problems could have been caught so easily!

The other nice feature of using NUnit that is pointed out in the book is that when experimenting, use NUnit. Then all your experimenting is saved and you can always go back to it. I can remember doing all sorts of stuff in FoxPro's command window and then wonder later how I got where I did. NUnit would have been great.

I went out to the author's website to see if there was an update for the code in the book. There was an article that touched on what I was looking for. Apparently there was Amazon reviewer that had difficulty building the application from the final files provided. Jeffries states that "his expectation was for people to follow along in the building of the code, not for them to build the application from the existing source". He hadn't even intended to provide the source files until Microsoft asked him to. So apparently the code provided doesn't work AND if you follow along in the book (from my experience), that code doesn't work either.

I like the format of the book and the topic. I wish someone had actually tried to go through the code before it was published. Basically do some BUnit Testing (Book Unit)!

7/13/04
I've placed a review on Amazon and I've submitted a review to the Houston .NET users group. If you get a book from the raffle they like you to review it.