.NET Programmer Thoughts

Friday, July 09, 2004

HDNUG meeting

I attended my second Houston Dot Net Users Group meeting last night. I didn't enjoy the first meeting much because the topic was way over my head. But this meeting was great!

The Tips & Tricks part was on the DataGrid. There were computer issues so we didn't get to "see" much.

The Borland guy didn't show up so they asked one of the Microsoft guys to do a presentation. It was on testing using NUnit. Now I finally understand what Lynn used to refer to as "TestIt" methods! This is definitely the way to program.

I had bought $10 worth of raffle tickets and they actually pulled one of my numbers! I had already decided which one I wanted. But my number was pulled about 1/2 way through so I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it. When I got up there I saw a guy holding two books and one of them was the one I wanted. I looked to see what else was left and my second choice was scooped up before I could grab it. I asked the guy if he had decided and he said no. I told him I REALLY wanted the Extreme Programming book. The funny thing was that he was hold a VB Reference book and a C# book (mine). Fortunately he gave up MINE!

The book is Extreme Programming Adventures in C# by Ron Jeffries. I'll comment on it when I'm done. So far, it's exactly what I've been looking for.