.NET Programmer Thoughts

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Book Review: Beginning Relational Data Modeling

I’ve been a database programmer for 15 years but I’ve never kept up with the “latest” database concepts. Reading Beginning Relational Data Modeling was a great way to get myself up to date! I never learned about conceptual and logical models. So this book was a real eye-opener!

It starts out with a great introduction which includes data normalization. Every developer that works with data should know what the first three are. Apparently there has been another one added called Boyce-Codd Normal Form (BCNF). This one was new to me and I thought it was explained very well.

I thought the book was very informational. I think every developer that works with data should read this book to bring themselves up to data on the latest data modeling concepts.